I personally LOVE Anime. I’ve compiled a short list of what anime you should watch for those who like shounen style, action/adventure anime.
1. Naruto/Naruto Shippuden – This is a GREAT starting anime for those who want get a good feel for Shounen anime. Shounen means anime where there is one distinct “chosen one” who surprises everyone with his unique abilities. Naruto is mostly comical, though towards the end of the series turns more serious, a lead-in to the emotional sequel: Naruto Shippuden. Naruto Shippuden is definitely for those who enjoy an engrossed story line and battles on epic proportions. Though you’ll have to endure countless fillers, it’s definitely worth it in the end.
2. Bleach – Surprisingly similar to Naruto Shippuden. A somewhat serious anime with epic fights even the main heroes, Naruto and Ichigo, look quite similar. However, the concepts in bleach are much more complicated, having to understand all the Japanese terms thrown at you. Overall, Bleach is an amazing anime.
3. Full Metal Alchemist/Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Which one depends on the person, and if you’ve already read the manga. If you’ve read the manga and would like to see it animated, then watch Brotherhood. If you’d like to see where the original branches off from the manga, watch that one. – Full Metal Alchemist is by far one of my favorite animes. It has absolutely NO fillers, although it’s quite short in comparison to Bleach and Naruto, but I like to think it’s: “Short and Sweet”. Full Metal Alchemist is definitely a more serious anime, but a very interesting one.
4. Attack on Titan – This anime is AMAZING. The story line is fantastic and completely unique. This anime however, is very gorey and also serious. I’d definitely recommend watching this. The only drawback is that since it’s so new, very few episodes were released, though each makes you want to keep going. The plot twist was discouraging, though totally changed the anime for me when it came “full circle”.
5. Death Note – An anime on the topic of ethics and what is the difference between good and evil, and amazing anime, albeit being extremely saddening. Death Note is short, but no doubt addicting to watch.
These are all the animes which are NECESSARY to watch, after these, you can choose a follow-up.